300 Spectrum Center Drive, Suite 1110, Irvine CA 92618
520 Broadway, Suite 200, Santa Monica CA 90401
470 Ramona St, Palo Alto CA 94301
Mikonkatu 15 A, 00100 Helsinki
John Stenbergin ranta 2, 00530 Helsinki
Visiokatu 1, 33720 Tampere
Helsinginkatu 15, 20500 Turku
Hôtel des Postes Place Numa-Droz 2 Case postale 2511
+41 32 727 70 70
How to Start Remote Work at Your Company
Establish a Schedule
Create an Ideal Work Environment
- Find a space that is well lit and away from noise and distraction.
- Make sure you have all the proper technical equipment set up: a computer, reliable WiFi, docking devices, monitors, chargers, video conferencing programs, printers, and etc. Office essentials should stay close by for easy accessibility.
- Set up an ergonomically correct workstation. If you like to sit for the majority of your work day, find a comfortable chair and adjust your desk to elbow height. Your thighs and lower legs should rest at a ninety degree angle. If you prefer to stand, adjust the top of the monitor at eye level, use a standing mat, and wear comfortable shoes to avoid discomfort.
- Get comfortable...but not too comfortable. As tempting as it is, try not to work from bed. Not only is it bad for your posture, but it could hamper productivity and can affect work-life balance by disrupting the boundaries between work and rest. Work attire also seems to be a hot topic of debate for remote workers. I guess it all boils down to that famous philosophical saying: “If I wear pajamas while answering emails and no one sees it, did I even wear pajamas?” I’m kidding of course but in all seriousness, it’s a good habit to “dress for work” and gear up for the day ahead.
- Communicate expectations to anyone living in your home. Make sure roommates, spouses, friends or dogs (somewhat kidding) know that just because you are home doesn’t mean you are away from work. Set necessary boundaries and communicate what your work hours will be.
Actively Communicate with your Team
- Slack - This simplified chat tool has been increasingly popular and used by several companies. Everything you love about email, text messaging, and instant messaging can all be found through this app. Have a quick question? You can ping individual team members or department specific channels without being tangled in multiple email threads. Throw in a meme or emoji every now and then for some added fun!
- Video Conferencing - Sometimes text based communication can be misinterpreted or misunderstood. Written words can’t accurately convey emotional cues, intent, emotions, expressions, and gestures. Break the barrier by using video conferencing programs like Google Hangouts, Skype or Facetime.
- Phone Calls - If all else fails, a good old fashioned phone call is fast and simple!